E.C. Glass history reaches all the way back to Edward Christian Glass, superintendent of Lynchburg Schools from 1879 to 1931. In 1920, Lynchburg Public High School on Park Avenue was renamed E.C. Glass in his honor and has been a focus of civic pride ever since. A new school opened at its current site, on Memorial Avenue, in 1953. A caption on a picture from 1955 called it the city's most expensive building.  

Heritage High School began as a result of a hotly contested annexation. The school that blended students from Lynchburg and Campbell County started at Sandusky Junior High before moving into its new building -- on the site of the former Brookville High School (later Brookville Middle School) -- in 1977. Nearly 40 years later in October 2016, the Heritage High School community dedicated a new school building off Timberlake Road; see photos of the new Heritage High here.

Tags

Load comments