The Amherst County Board of Supervisors passed a resolution during its Oct. 1 meeting honoring the Monelison Volunteer Fire Department for its 60th anniversary.
The department currently has 21 members, runs more than 600 calls a year and assists with emergency medical calls for Amherst County. In July 1959 the MVFD was founded and first met in the former school on Phelps Road in Madison Heights during a time the city of Lynchburg informed the county it would no longer be able to provide fire services to Madison Heights.
In June 1961 the department ran its first three calls out of the Station 1 headquarters on Amer Circle next to Amelon Elementary School, starting with a used tanker converted to carry 3,800 gallons of water and a 1959 International Pumper still housed at the station as its first fire apparatus.
In 1980 the station was updated and the upstairs was converted from an open space to offices and a classroom. The department also has two other locations on Lyttleton Lane in Madison Heights and in Elon.