Members of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Amherst broke ground on June 19 for an addition to its building on Virginia 151 in the Clifford community.
Contractor Tom Gerdy and interior designer Dale Davis of Dale Davis Designs joined in the celebratory moment.
St. Mark’s, founded in 1748, occupied the current church building in 1816. The parish house was added in the 1950s.
The new 720-square-foot addition will house a choir room and clergy office. The choir room will also be used for Christian formation classes.
The project also includes a renovation of the parish house, kitchen, restrooms and sacristy areas and an upgrade to the heating and cooling systems for the church and parish house. A handicap ramp will be replaced by a new one and a handicap access restroom will be added.
St. Mark’s services are held at 9:30 a.m. Sunday. After worship, parishioners gather for refreshments and community time in the parish house. The priest, Rev. David W. Perkins, began serving at St. Mark’s last November.